Student Registration Information

Under the British Columbia School Act, an educational program will be provided for every school-aged student who is ordinarily resident in Burnaby. Additionally, the Board of Education has established policy that allows for students who meet the district’s admission eligibility regulation and who reside outside of Burnaby or who are temporarily residents in Burnaby the opportunity to attend a Burnaby public school. To establish enrolment eligibility, every student seeking admission to a Burnaby school is required to provide documentation establishing residency, guardianship, age and citizenship.

Students register at the school within the designated attendance area where the student ordinarily resides or make application to attend another school or educational program within the district.  The school locator can help you determine the attendance area your address is associated with.

To review general registration information, registration information specific to your child including kindergarten students. students new to the district, student transfers (cross district and out-of-district), students going into grade 8, newcomers to Canada, International students or language program options, or review the factors and priorities that determine a student’s placement in a Burnaby school.  For the 2021-22 school year, all registrations will be done online.  You will be redirected to the district websites registration page by clicking here.

Registration Documentation

With your application, you will need to submit:

  • Birth Certificate or Proof of birth date for the student
  • Proof of guardianship
  • Proof of citizenship for both the parent and child
  • Immunization records
  • Emergency contact information
  • Name and telephone number of the family doctor or medical clinic
  • Proof of residency showing the parent/guardian name.  This must include two items, at least one being from Category A below:

Category A: proof of ownership or long-term rental of dwelling, legal documents indicating      BC residence, Parent or guardian filing income tax returns as a BC resident

Category B: BC Hydro bill, BC Cable bill, Provincial driver’s license, Provincial registration of automobile or Canadian bank accounts or credit cards

Cross District and Out-of-District

The cross or out-of-district transfer application process is now closed for the 2021/22 school year. Please return to this page in February 2022 to submit an application for September 2022.

Temporary Residents Living in BC

A temporary resident is someone who would be living in our catchment area that is in BC on a student visa or has a work permit for Canada.  In order to assist with physical distancing and limiting the spread of COVID-19, schools will not be accepting any in-person registrations at this time.  To complete an online preliminary registration with the Burnaby School District please click here.

If you are updating your documents because they have expired and your child is already registered at a Burnaby public school, please email your new documents to

If you have any further questions about the registration procedure, please call the school office at 604 296 9008.


Updated June 21, 2021